This workshop has been cancelled due to low enrollment. We will hold another session in April 2018. If you are interested in a class or information on this subject before April, please contact Amanda Beranek (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This session may be attended only by those who are currently certified in Nonviolent Crisis Prevention Intervention. If you did not attend an Initial Training or a full-day Refresher Class during the 2016-17 school year, you will need to re-take the Initial Training this year in order to be certified on all the new material that CPI introduced last year.
Facilitated by: Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) Certified Instructor
This class will teach you to view crisis as a learning opportunity: NVCI and LSCI (Life Space Crisis Intervention) combined. A great way to enjoy quality professional development AND get that CPI Refresher completed, too!
The course enhances:
- Verbal and non-verbal interaction as a means to prevent conflict from escalating to crisis;
- Existing de-escalation strategies;
- Debriefing methods for students, along with the well-meaning staff member who fuels a conflict;
- Your ability to reclaim your students after crisis.
So, what does it actually look like? In addition to CPI content, attendees will:
- Learn the Conflict Cycle and understand staff’s role in the cycle as a means to stop the pattern;
- Enhance your ability to detect “ways out” when debriefing a crisis;
- Learn and utilize LSCI’s ‘Emotional First Aid;’
- Discuss ‘Surface Management of Behavior’ and how it can consistently be applied;
- Discuss and understand how we can generally respond to any behavior (‘STEP’);
- Learn the Six Stages of Life Space Crisis Intervention as a means to enhance debriefing with students…and staff! (includes LSCI’s Diagnostic and Reclaiming Stages); and
- Learn and practice two LSCI reclaiming interventions (‘Red Flag’ and ‘Double Struggle’).
Due to new ISBE regulations, we are no longer able to offer PD Credit Hours for NVCI Refresher Classes.