Presenter and Bio Info: Laura Swanick, M.S. Ed, provides instructional technology services to NSSED’s Educational Life Skills and Transition programs. Before working in instructional technology, Laura was a special education classroom teacher, assistive technology coordinator, and trainer for educational software companies: Mayer-Johnson and Assistive Technology Inc. Laura enjoys working with staff, parents, and students helping them integrate technology into the curriculum and their daily lives.
Intended Audience: Teachers, therapists, & classroom assistants working with students with developmental delays, intellectual disabilities, autism, and multiple disabilities.
Workshop Description: This is a hands-on session where participants will learn the basics of using an interactive whiteboard (IWB) such as SmartBoard, Epson BrightLink, Promethean, etc, to enhance student learning. We will start by reviewing sample lessons and interactive tools - highlighting how these tools can be used for differentiated instruction in the classroom. Trainers will show how a variety of interactive, customizable software programs such as Boardmaker Plus/SDPro, ChooseIt Maker, Smart Notebook and ActivInspire can be used to create customized lessons fit to student needs. Next, we will have participants chart student objectives and visualize a lesson to help teach to those skills. Participants can use the software they are comfortable with to create their own customized lessons. They will share activities created and gain access to all IWB resources made during the session, which they will bring back to the classroom and use with students to meet learning objectives and increase student engagement. Time permitting; the presenters will also share how the interactive whiteboard can be accessed via switches and iPads.
Prerequisites; Participants will need to:
- 1. Have an interactive whiteboard in their classroom.
- 2. Bring a laptop to training loaded with interactive software such as Boardmaker Plus/SDPro, ChooseIt Maker, Smart Notebook or ActivInspire pre-loaded.
Learning Objectives; Participants will:
- Identify at least three different IWB tools they can use to increase student engagement.
- Use software to create a customized, interactive lesson that differentiates instruction and teaches to specific student objectives.
- Share at least one activity with other participants and use it with students back in the classroom.
PD Hours: 5.0
Registration/Coffee: 8:00 am to 8:30 am; Session: 8:30 am to 2:30 pm (11 am - 12 pm Lunch Break)